Recents (A Summing Up of a Year of Reading)

Recent Reads

I did it!  Got the last 3 reads in this year.  Total number of books read in 2010 = 73. Many much more than last year. I can’t thank my family enough for all the time they endure of me reading.  Might I suggest for my birthday, a speed-reading course.  I started the year with Maggie Stiefvater’s, Ballad, and ended with Suzanne Collin’s, Mockingjay.  That sums up the awesomeness of the year right there. Were they are all as beautifully written as Ballad or as heart pounding as Mockingjay? No, of course not.  There were even a couple books I didn’t bother counting because, they weren’t worth it.  But most of them were enjoyable, or entertaining, or emotional or thought provoking.  They transported me to their world. They forced to peer at common situations from a new knot whole in the fence or to experience uncommon adventures that I wouldn’t ordinarily be part of.  Reading is the BOMB!  Thank you authors, for your hard work, dedication and perseverance so that I may spend so much time…um…researching my craft.

The Egypt Game by Zilpha Keatley Snyder– humble rating: Golf Clap – Trip down memory lane. I read this when I was young and fell madly in love with the idea of Nefertiti – though the fact that I already wanted to be Isis probably helped.  Completely forgot about the murder sub-plot.  Hope my resident middle grader picks it up now that I’m finished.








Crossed Out by Kim Baccellia– humble rating: Golf Clap – Original take on the crossing over angle. The Kindle edition that I read was ill-formatted and made it a bit difficult to work through the story. The author assures me the publisher is working on this, but for now, invest in the print edition. Worth it.







Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins - humble rating: Rock Concert – Wow, wow, wow.  I’m still in shock and awe this morning.  I’m sad to see it end, yet I’m physically and mentally spent from the journey and kind of glad it’s over at the same time.  I’m not sure how I feel about the ending.  I don’t want to give any spoilers.  I just feel the wrong person ended up alone in the end. Kinda, sorta.  Oh, I don’t know.  I think my opinion will change a lot over the next few days and I’m certain it will take at least that long to work through this story (the series, really) in my mind.  A fantastic way to end the reading year.  A toast to Suzanne Collins. May she write many, many more adventures.

My own humble rating system: Please feel free to ask for clarification or to dispute my opinion.  I only ask that we ALWAYS remain respectful to the author.

Chirping Cricket – At the end all you hear is the chirp of the cricket.  I doubt I’ll ever use this because I can’t publicly embarrass someone knowingly.  However, I must have a ‘beginning’ rating in order for the rest to make sense. 

Golf Clap - The polite ovation that follows a well-placed shot.

Motivational Speaker –You are left fired up and eager to get to work making the world a better place.  You can’t wait to tell your friends all the insights and inspiration you took away from it. 

Rock Concert – Hooting and hollering, cheering, singing and clapping throughout the performance.  Swaying and lit lighters accompany ballads.  Riots break out if there is no encore.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Susan Kaye Quinn, Author of Open Minds, Presents:

I Want More – The Story Behind the Story, I Am Me

Robot Writing - What It Is & How to Avoid It