Recents

Recent Reads

The Storyteller by M Arthur – humble rating: Golf Clap+ – Well written story by fellow Bend-ite and middle-grade author. Good, strong p.o.v. which added to the intensity of the storytelling. I liked the end of the story line, I wasn’t super crazy about the Lemony Snicket type of dialogue at the very end. But I got over it quickly.








Abandon by Meg Cabot – humble rating: Golf Clap+ – So, when I first started reading I thought, “Wow, this is so cliché. How disappointing.” Me of little faith. Seriously, this is Meg Dang Cabot. Of course it was engaging and left me wanting the next book immediately. Duh.









Passion by Lauren Kate - humble rating: Golf Clap++ – I like this series. I’m a sucker for a good love story and this one is pretty compelling. I got a bit tired of jumping from life to life with Luce, but Lauren handled the time travel aspect and meeting the different time versions of the characters well.









If I Stay by Gayle Forman - humble rating: Motivational Speaker – Once I cracked this book open, I had a hard time putting it down. Such a beautiful, emotional story. I was exhausted when I finished reading it and it wasn’t because I stayed up until 3 am.









Jumping Off Swings by Jo Knowles - humble rating: Motivational Speaker – Seriously! Enough tears already. Another powerful, beautiful, true – painfully true book. Jo Knowles handled the topic of high school pregnancy; the why’s and the how’s and the when’s - with such honesty. I read this now as my nod to banned book week (I’m pretty sure this was challenged at some point somewhere).
  
My own humble rating system: Please feel free to ask for clarification or to dispute my opinion.  I only ask that we ALWAYS remain respectful to the author.

Chirping Cricket – At the end all you hear is the chirp of the cricket.  I doubt I’ll ever use this because I can’t publicly embarrass someone knowingly.  However, I must have a ‘beginning’ rating in order for the rest to make sense. 

Golf Clap - The polite ovation that follows a well-placed shot.

Motivational Speaker –You are left fired up and eager to get to work making the world a better place.  You can’t wait to tell your friends all the insights and inspiration you took away from it. 

Rock Concert – Hooting and hollering, cheering, singing and clapping throughout the performance.  Swaying and lit lighters accompany ballads.  Riots break out if there is no encore.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Susan Kaye Quinn, Author of Open Minds, Presents:

I Want More – The Story Behind the Story, I Am Me