My Idea Man - Current Love by Michelle Brown

People ask me all the time how I do it. How do I find time to write, raise ten kids (number eleven due in April) and keep my sanity? Well, writing helps keep me sane, and my wonderful husband of twenty-two years makes sure I get plenty of mental therapy. Bob is my idea man (most of my best stories have their roots in his imagination), my cheerleader, and my first reader. Since many of my main characters are middle-grade boys, his male perspective keeps my writing authentic. He coins the best titles and last lines. He protects my writing time at night by reading to the kids, bathing them, brushing their teeth, and tucking them in. Whenever he can, Bob sends me to writing conferences and retreats, even if they're a week long and far away. 

I'm currently working on a Bigfoot story, and needed a fun angle for the piece. I told him to "mull" some ideas for me. Bob came home from work with a list of ten zany ideas--things that never would have crossed my mind. He loves to bring me books and articles, and is always forwarding me some inspiring blog link or NPR story he's heard on his commute. 

But the best thing about Bob is the way he holds my chin up after a rejection, helps me celebrate with every acceptance, and gently prods me to keep going when I want to quit. He's always asking what I'm working on, do I want to read it to him, where am I going to send it. When I'm torn between different projects, he's my sounding board and helps me weigh the pros and cons without telling me what I should do. 

So Bob's how I do it. I don't deserve him, but as Jane Austen said, "Nobody minds having what is too good for them."

BIO: Michelle's middle-grade fiction has won several awards, most notably Highlights Author of the Month (Feb. 2011, Jan. 2010) and 2009 Highlights Fiction Contest Winner. She's currently a staff writer for knowonder! online children's magazine, and a guest author for BoomWriter. Michelle has also been published in Chess Life for Kids, BRIO, relatemag.com, Bumples, Characters, StorySomething, hisstories.com, Stories for Children and writes on assignment for Gospel Publishing House's teen devotional magazine, Take 5 +. Michelle is resident playwright and director for her local children's theater, although she says her own big family provides her with all the comedy and drama she needs. Michelle is represented by Bree Ogden of D4EO Literary Management. Learn more about Michelle at http://www.michellelbrown.com and http://www.mlbrownwrites.blogspot.com

Comments

  1. That's great. I loved how he came home with ideas for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful way to honor your sweet, supportive husband. You picked a good one! (husband that is:-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. They are so obviously a good team! Fun story to share.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Susan Kaye Quinn, Author of Open Minds, Presents:

I Want More – The Story Behind the Story, I Am Me