Three Times A Charm with Gia Volterra de Saulnier

Welcome to Three Times A Charm. I love meeting new authors, illustrators, bloggers, agents, editors or promoters from the children’s publishing industry and sharing their careers with my readers.

Today’s guest is children’s author, Gia Volterra de Saulnier. Welcome to Strands of Thought, Gia! Can you tell us a little about you, please?

I was born and raised in Fairhaven, Massachusetts and attended University of Lowell (now University of Massachusetts, Lowell). It was there that I learned to love jazz. 
I have been performing jazz and other kinds of music for over 20 years, throughout the New England area. I live in North Reading, Massachusetts with my husband Richard and my son Charlie.

Tell us about your most recent book, Gia.

With the main goal of helping to bring music back into classrooms in Massachusetts and across the United States, I created the picture book, “Journey to Jazzland.” In the book, readers join Windy Flute, Spitz Trumpet and their friends as they travel to a legendary place where music is joyous, creative and free.

I am a true believer in music programs in schools! My daughter is in her senior year of college studying to be a Music Therapist. I often wonder what she’d be doing if we stayed in California where they’d already cut so much of the music programs.

Gia what classics do you recommend?

Oh so many children’s picture books that are great, but here are my top three favorites:
“The Giving Tree” – Shel Silverstein
“Where the Wild Things Are” – Maurice Sendack
“The poems and readings of Winnie the Pooh” – E.E. Milne

Now, for the Threes. Share with us your top 3’s to help us know you a little better.

·        The top 3 tools of the trade.

I can’t live without: a laptop (seriously, where was this tool in the 1990s?), Facebook – I am addicted, but it is a great tool, and the internet (yes, I guess Facebook is on the internet, but really Google, Twitter, all that social media as well is fabulous for me)

·        My top 3 leisure activities.

Knitting – I’m sort of an avid knitter, although I still can’t knit socks (sigh), watching movies on cable – especially Foreign movies (those are my favorite – my top favorite is “The Red Violin”, hanging out with my family is always fun too.

·        Top 3 hit songs from when you were in the age range of your target audience.

Oh boy, that was a very long time ago: The top hit songs when I was 5 – 9?  Probably “Yellow Submarine” by The Beatles, (and now I have that song stuck in my head thank you very much), “You are the Sunshine of my life” – Stevie Wonder, “Ballroom Blitz” – The Sweet

I have a Ballroom Blitz earworm, thanks! Ha ha. Gia, where can our tech savvy readers find out more about you and your work?

My website is still under construction (hopefully will be out soon), in the meantime, my blog is http://www.giazzworld.blogspot.com, and Facebook is http://www.faceboook.com/gia.saulnier and my fan page is http://www.facebook.com/journeytojazzland


Thank you for charming us on this week’s Three Times A Charm! Best of luck to you and your writing, Gia.


GUESTS WELCOME!  I am always looking for guests for Three Times A Charm. If you are an author, illustrator or book reviewer, an agent or an editor. If you have something related to children’s publishing that you’d like people to know about, feel free to contact me about a future appearance

Comments

  1. Thank you so much for featuring me, I really appreciate it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy to have you, Gia. Good luck with your book.

      Delete
    2. Thanks! I need all the luck I can get :D PS feel free to post your "Open Doors - Fractured Fairy Tales" on my popular fan page at http://www.facebook.com/renperfmerch

      Delete
    3. Thanks, I'll do that. What a fun page!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Susan Kaye Quinn, Author of Open Minds, Presents:

I Want More – The Story Behind the Story, I Am Me