Three Times A Charm with Jennifer Redmile

Welcome to Three Times A Charm. I love to introduce readers to the people involved in children’s publishing. Today we welcome author, Jen Redmile. Jen, can tell us a little about yourself?

I grew up on the beautiful northern beaches of Sydney NSW. After a 2 year stint working in outback NT, I now live in Geraldton WA with my amazing and supportive husband, 23yo son and two gorgeous puppy dogs. I’ve always been an avid fantasy fiction reader, and always worked with children, so when I decided to write a novel, it was a natural progression to combine the two and make it a children's fantasy novel.

In 1997 I wrote a children's musical, entitled Beyond the Stars, for the local Catholic primary school, with a cast of over 300.

I have completed Book 2 in The Children of When series, Valleron, which is awaiting publication, and am currently working on the 3rd book in the series, Dragardia. 

I also have two other YA series in the works, "What Ghost?" and "Morwitch".

Wow, a play for a cast of over 300! That’s impressive. Now, tell us more about your book. The title is intriguing.

The Children of When is the first book in a new MG/YA fantasy series. The story revolves around Leah, Raff, and Belle, who have been raised in separate “foster-homes” until they turn fourteen. On that day, the law states they must leave everything for an unknown future.

When they are magically transported to another world, they discover not only each other, but a prophecy that has waited 1000 years for their arrival.

To fulfill the prophecy, they must find and reunite three missing pieces of an ancient amulet, and in the process learn to control and use their unique Gifts.

Dark forces conspire to prevent the resurrection of the Amulet, and the journey becomes one of survival.

Turning fourteen was NOT supposed to be this hard!

So, you've read the blurb...what else can I tell you? Well there are flying horses, battles with monsters, good guys, bad guys, and some pretty weird but lovable minor characters. And of course, being a story about young teenagers, there might be a slight crush or two going on.

I hope you grow to love these kids half as much as I do, and that you are eager to read more of their adventures in The Children of When - Valleron, the soon to be released 2nd book in the series.
  
I recommend my book to readers who like:

The Harry Potter series – J. K. Rowling
The Percy Jackson series – Rick Riordan
The Abhorsen series – Garth Nix

Let’s get to know you a little better. Share with us your top three responses to the following questions.

Top 3 things you learned about the business after becoming a writer.

Okay, so what I’ve learned about the business of becoming a writer could fill a very large and ridiculously thick book. I’ll try to condense some of it into three important points:

1. Writing a book is really hard work!

So many people, at some stage in their lives, decide they should/could/will write a book. Great idea…why not? How hard can it be, right? WRONG!

Hmmm…I remember thinking all those things too. Although I did have one advantage a lot of other writers don’t have when they first start writing…my husband agreed that I should stop working fulltime and just concentrate on writing for a while. Knowing how lucky I was to be in that position, I dived headlong into learning everything I could about writing fiction. Hundreds of hours later, after downloading and reading everything I could find on the internet (and hardly scratching the surface of the information available) I realized that writing a book was one of those things you needed to just start doing and learn as you go.

Anyway, I could go on forever about the highs and lows I experienced during the actual writing process. Needless to say, I got there…all the blood sweat and tears finally behind me as I blithely typed “The End”. WRONG AGAIN!

2. The Self-publishing vs Traditional publishing decision!

Yep, typing “The End” is actually the beginning of a whole new process. So you’ve written a book! Now what are you going to do with it? Therein lies the $64 million dollar question, and the options and suggestions are endless. I was lucky enough to have a few literary minded friends and family members to help me through the editing process, which I’ve been told saved me a fortune.

After listening to various debates about the pros and cons regarding the different roads to publication, I had decided to save myself the heartache (not to mention the blow to my self-esteem) of being rejected by publishers and/or agents and just self-publish.
Then my Guardian Angel (who I believe is a combination of my mum, dad, grandmother and great aunt) brought me to the attention of the CEO of my publishing company, Catt Dahman. She had been watching me interact in various Facebook groups for a while, and when she found out I had finished a book she suggested I submit it to her publishing company (which of course left me gobsmacked, because I had no idea who she was before that).

So, I was also lucky enough to have my book accepted by the first publisher I submitted it to, J Ellington Ashton Press, which I’ve also been told saved me endless hours, days, weeks and months of anguish.

3. The long road from signing a contract with a traditional publisher to the actual book release.

Okay, once again I know I was one of the lucky ones…it only took seven months. But that seven months felt more like seven years! The hardest part was watching others who’d gone the self-publishing route have their books up and released in a week. So…I waited (impatiently). I wrote two more books, got involved in social media and talking to other writers, and engaged in the publishing process…1st edits, 2nd edits, cover art, formatting, and finally proofreading. I suppose this would be a good time to admit that I was one of those ‘nightmare’ authors, you know, the ones who whine and complain about how long it’s all taking until you want to wring their necks. Fortunately for me, and my book, we all came through relatively unscathed (well I hope so, anyway) and my debut novel is now out in the world for all to see.
  
Top 3 snacks to munch on while working.

1. Cup of tea - preferably in a bottomless cup

2. Chocolate…of course.

3. Anything prepared and brought to me by someone else when writing

Top 3 places you find writing inspiration.

1. Inside my characters’ heads

Yes, I know it sounds weird but it's true.

2. In bed when TRYING to go to sleep!

3. In the shower

Oh my gosh, I completely agree with 2 and 3! Okay, so where can our tech savvy readers find you and your book online?

Twitter: @JenRedmile


It was lovely of you to visit Strands of Thought. Best of luck to you and The Children of When!

THANKS!

Comments

  1. Jennifer, you are so blessed to have your husband's support and an easy route to publishing, but you did the hard work of writing the book. Congratulations! Your plot sounds awesome and well thought out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Linda. Yes, I certainly know how blessed I am to have a wonderful and supportive husband. Not a day goes by that I don't appreciate having him in my life. I hope you get a chance to read The Children of When and enjoy the experience.

      Delete
  2. Nice to meet you, Jennifer. Congratulations on your new book and on the others to follow. Your story of finding publication is great. Writing is hard, publishing even harder. I'm happy everything worked out for you. Lovely cover for your book. The series sounds exciting and one teen readers should enjoy. Best of luck to you.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Susan Kaye Quinn, Author of Open Minds, Presents:

I Want More – The Story Behind the Story, I Am Me